Posted .

Allergies are an every-day issue for many people, and for others, it’s only a problem in the dental office. There are several items in dental offices made of latex, such as masks, gloves, and syringes. Latex is a natural rubber harvested from trees, and prolonged exposure to the dust from powdered gloves sometimes triggers an allergic reaction. Local anesthetics used in a dental office can also, rarely, cause an allergic reaction. These anesthetics are used to numb the mouth and gums during dental procedures. Allergic reactions to local anesthetics are rare, but are known to happen from time to time.

The potential for an allergic reaction should never be reason not to go to the dentist. You should still visit the dentist at least twice a year. Here are several tips to help avoid allergic reactions, if this is a problem for you, while going to the dentist.

If you have a latex allergy, consider going to the dentist early in the morning, before the latex particles build up in the air as the day goes on. Dr. Thompson and staff only use latex-free gloves and materials in 99% of their everyday procedures.

If you are allergic to an anesthetic, tell your dentist! There are usually other options that don’t contain the preservative in them that the allergy is usually linked to.

You should always let your dentist know if you have allergies, by completely filling out the medical history forms, and telling your dentist beforehand.