Posted .

We all know the basics to preventing cavities, but a refresher every now and then hasn’t hurt anyone, right? You’d actually be surprised at how many important aspects of good oral health people skip because they forget them or don’t include them in their daily habits. To help you have the best oral health possible, our team here at Ventana Family Dentistry in Peoria, Arizona, put this piece together to help you stay on top of cavities and prevent them from becoming a problem.

Fillings don’t always solve the problem

A lot of people assume that if they get a cavity, a simple filling is all they need to fix the problem. However, that’s not always the case. If you wait too long to fill a cavity, you could end up with a much larger – and more damaging – cavity that wreaks havoc on your oral health. You might even have to get the affected tooth extracted!

Don’t forget to floss

So many people don’t floss – six out of ten American adults, in fact. What these people don’t realize is that they’re only cleaning about 65% of their teeth if they skip flossing. The other 35% cleans the areas your brush can’t reach, removing plaque and debris from between your teeth and around your gums – areas where cavities and other oral health issues most commonly start.

If you have any other questions, or need to schedule an appointment, call us today at 623-566-1200.